As Paul prayed for his disciples in the churches of Ephesus, Colosse, Philippi, and Thessalonica, he asked God to do what only God could do, to take the written word and make it a living epistle in their transformed lives. These are personalized, paraphrased scriptures which are powerful swords of the Spirit. Pray them for the many people for whom you are concerned that they keep growing up to maturity in Christ. God will delight to answer the desires of His own heart as you pray His own words for them.
1 Thessalonians 1:2-9
I always thank You, Father, for (my loved one), as I bring them to You in prayer.
Continue to stir up in them
· work produced by faith,
· labor prompted by love, and
· endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.
Cause (my loved one) to know that they are loved by You and especially chosen by You. Cause the gospel to take root in their lives and go forth from them
· not in words only,
· but also with power,
· with the Holy Spirit, and
· with deep conviction.
Cause (my loved one)
· to keep their eyes on You, Lord Jesus, and become imitators of You,
· to have joy as only the Holy Spirit can give, and
· to model You with their lives to a watching world, that their faith in You might become known to the ends of the earth.
Keep (my loved one) actively serving only You, the living and true God. Keep (my loved one’s) heart turned to You so that they will recognize the snare of idols and consciously choose to have nothing in their lives that rivals You.
Taken from Prayer Portions, pg 294-295 © Sylvia Gunter, 1991, 1995 Click here to purchase a copy of the book An archive of past devotionals is available at www.thefathersbusiness.com